Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Such Sights To Show You

Here's a selection of images I have gathered from the past month and a half of my time in Kyoto that defy categorisation, logic and explanation. But despite all this, I'm going to try my darndest to make sense of them all. Give them a click to enlarge (reminds me of some spam I've received before).

I tells ya, you try to start a conversation with a lady and she just freezes up and ignores you. It's like Mannequin all over again! Just joshing of course. This was at the Nishijin Textiles Center, which was informative but had some bizarre elements, namely the kimono show. Hordes of camera-toting tourists gathered round the catwalk to see kimono-clad models walk a bit, smile enigmatically, stare into middle distance and walk off. I didn't know how to react - do I smile politely at them? Should our eyes make contact? I just found the whole experience rather strange (plus fellow Doshisha student Josh was convinced one of them was really a guy).

This is the Godzilla statue outside the local entertainment emporium. Its such a strange, brilliant shop. I've only bought a YMO CD off them, which I had to quickly return (this being Japan, it was a Super Audio CD, only compatible with special Sony players, but, of course, this being Japan, where customer service is top priority, I got a full refund), but it is purchase haven. CDs, DVDs, comics, capsule toys and a vast library of console games from all makes and eras (the Super Famicom corridor is something to behold), and all at competitive prices. But past the card games section, it reveals a further section, with clothes, arcade machines, imported action figures, and guns and ammunition (well, the BB variety). It's certainly worth a trip for anyone around Mukaijima way.

The front gate of Doshisha always has big painted boards advertising upcoming events which always catch the eye, none more so than 21th Century F.B.I., concerning films about everyone's favourite alien-chasing bureau. Someone could make a fortune proof-reading English in Japan, but it would make it all less fun, wouldn't it?

The Shijo covered arcades are weirdness central. What better way to demonstrate than Colonel Sanders outside the KFC (or just 'Kentucky' as it's predominantly known in Japan), dressed in samurai attire.

Or how about Mr. Giraffe Man, advertising the nearby Cybex internet den? We first saw the giraffe outside without a man inside, just resting by the building. It was only some weeks later that we realised it was a costume, and the giraffe could go walk about. I love how his little legs don't really fit the rest of the character.

Unfortunately, this photo isn't so clear, but it is a lit up sign for a very scary looking hair-dresser. In tight white suit and pink-orange hair, he looks like he was kicked out of the Scissor Sisters for being too camp. Would you let this man near your head? The sign does attract attention, but everyone who passes just points and laughs, so I don't know how he keeps in business. I assume it's all a front for some seedier operation, but I'm never going up those stairs for a look.

And finally, a pic of me in an electronics shop, playing Everybody's Tennis on PS2 through some telly-specs, which were glitchy, not especially comfortable and tricky to view the entire screen with. Another case of technology before technique, but it makes me look like a member of Polysics, so I enjoyed it anyway.

In other news, I'm referenced on the Adam and Joe Xfm Podcasts! Download episodes 4 and 5, and while my voice isn't featured, I get namechecked at the end of the former and start of the latter. I had phoned into Crap Commentary Corner, where they play an excerpt from a DVD commentary and you have to name the film and people speaking. As it was Resident Evil, I knew immediately, phoned in and won. Then I had an in-depth conversation with Joe about zombies and Resident Evil 4 at which point he said "Let's meet tonight at the Virgin Megastore Piccadilly Circus". Later on in the show, they joked about meeting up with me later and I thought I'd text to see if they were serious. No reply, but me and Pete went along anyway as I wanted to buy a few CDs. No show, but no real disappointment.

The following week I think I went back to Somerset, but listening to the subsequent podcast a year later, it turns out that wasn't the end of it. In podcast 5, Joe says that he feels bad he didn't meet up with me. Apparently, not only did he get my following text, but other listeners texted in to ask if we had met up! He then asks "Rory, if you're listening, please call in" - but that week I wasn't listening...oh, what could have been! Never mind - at least I am forever enshrined on the podcasts...and I will be sure to make reference to it next time I enter a competition. That's if the show is on when I'm back in London. Anyway, be sure to check out podcasts 4 and 5, but it's worth listening to them all, as they are funny shows indeed (especially Joe's diatribe on R. Kelly's In The Closet single soap opera).

No comments: